Valley Cartage Company Inc.
Reports To: Platform Supervisor
Department: Operations - Day or Night
JOB SUMMARY The Dispatcher assures routing and dispatch are providing the most efficient solution to Valley Cartage and our customers while safely utilizing drivers and equipment. This position requires daily interaction with employees, customers and vendors.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PERFORMANCE METRICS (include but not limited to):
- Work to minimize missed pick-ups, freight held on dock, and missed line haul cut times;
- Work with Valley Cartage partner and interline carriers to effectively manage and move freight;
- Dispatch P&D drivers to appropriate locations according to pickups and order received keeping customer close times in mind;
- Monitor and update TMW promptly to ensure the latest information is available for internal and external customers;
- May assist to set appointments for freight delivery and handle any issues with regard to inbound pickups and appointment freight;
- Adhere to DOT regulations for drivers’ hours of service;
- Capable to work under tight time constraints in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities;
- Communicate effectively with all necessary parties both internally and externally by having excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Preferred background in Logistics
- Understanding of freight technology programs including TMW, PeopleNet, and TPG as well as Microsoft Office.
- Preferred experience in Dispatch
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Pre-employment drug and physical test
- English language including the meaning and spelling of words and proper grammar.
- Learned knowledge in FMSCA and DOT regulations, particular attention to HazMat;
- Practical knowledge of routing and dispatching drivers optimizing mileage and productivity;
- Learned knowledge of decision making and accepting accountability of terminal service standards.
- Speak clearly and communicate with others and convey information effectively;
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited time exists;
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form;
- Work independently and with a team to be reliable, responsible, and dependable.
- Dependability, reliability, and maturity to handle equipment in a safe and sensible manner
- Support mission and core values of the company
- Stable and growing organization
- Full time pay per hour based on experience.
- Comprehensive benefits package: Health, Dental, Vision, 401K, Life, Long and Short-Term Disability Coverage
- Paid Time Off
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and use hands to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, or crawl. The employee must occasionally have the ability to lift 100-pound cartons to a height of 4-5 feet and load or unload off the truck. The employee must frequently pull on a pallet jack with materials on it weighing up to 3,000 pounds. The employee is regularly required to drive a forklift. The employee may work from 10 hours to 14 hours a day as needed.
WORKING CONDITIONS The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing duties of this job the employee will regularly be exposed to outside weather conditions. This also means the employee is regularly required to drive in all sorts of weather. The employee is required to drive tractors with and without air conditioning. The employee is required to travel in busy and congested roads and highways. The employee is also subjected to noise and to being around tractors, trailers, and forklifts as well as various other material moving machines.
If you share our core values of Fun, Integrity, Service, Honesty, Passion, Innovation, Excellence and SAFETY then this is the opportunity for YOU!